skip to Main Content
Survivors of sexual violence in Alberta need your help. Contact your MLA today and tell them sustainable funding for specialized sexual assault support services is a priority.
Learn more at

Police and Court Support

Our program is designed to help people through the process, whether they are a client at SACE or not.

Sexual Abuse or Assault

We provide all the options a person can use to report sexual abuse or assault.

Sexual Harrassment

This section provides information about the steps you can take to make a complaint about sexual harassment.

Police and Court Support Program

Making a police report or going to court can be confusing, scary, and triggering. Our Police and Court Support program is designed to help people who have experienced sexual violence through this process, whether they are a client at SACE or not.

The SACE Police and Court Support program offers the following supports for adults and youth ages 16 and up:

Information about reporting, the court process, and legal rights and responsibilities
Assistance with forms
Police interview accompaniment
Help preparing for court
Accompaniment to court proceedings
Support with protection orders
Emotional support throughout the legal process

Our goal is to ensure that people have the information they need to decide whether to report, and to provide consistent specialized supports throughout the court process and after. 

Email us to access all or part of these services

When it comes to adults reporting or pursuing charges for sexual assault or abuse, the choice is completely yours. There is no time limit, so you can take your time to make this decision. This section is intended to provide helpful information for those who have decided to report, and those who are still deciding.

Note: Sometimes reporting is not an option; it is required by law. This is the case for any person who is considered to be vulnerable, including:

Children and youth (people who are under 18 years old)
Adults who are included under the Persons in Care Act
For all vulnerable persons, reporting is required even if you aren’t sure if they were sexually assaulted/abused

Below you will find information about what reporting options exist, and how to report.

Reporting Sexual Assault or Abuse

What is Reporting?

Reporting means contacting police or RCMP and telling an officer what happened. This is often done to begin an investigation that may lead to charges being laid against the person who caused harm.

If you’d like to talk with someone about reporting options, you can call the SACE Support and Information Line

To make a report, you will write a statement that includes your name, and an officer will seek to gather evidence. After a report has been made the officer (in collaboration with the Crown) will determine whether or not there is reasonable likelihood that a charge could lead to a conviction. If there is reasonable likelihood, charges will be laid and a court process will begin. If not, no charges will be laid, however the report will remain on file.

If you do not want to go through the legal or court processes, you can still file a report, and a record of the sexual assault will remain on file in case you choose to pursue it at a later date

Whether charges are laid or not is not a reflection of the truth of your statement, and does not impact access to SACE services.

How do I report to the Edmonton Police Service?

There are three options to pursue potential charges:

Call the non-emergency police line

You will speak with a dispatch officer, who will send a uniformed officer to speak with you in person.

Go to the hospital

Ask to speak with a SART (Sexual Assault Response Team) nurse if the assault happened within the last 7 days.

Report online

The Edmonton Police Service Online Police Reporting Service allows you to submit a sexual assault report immediately.

Due to the pandemic, EPS does not currently accept walk-in reporting and recommend calling the non-emergency police line.

We recommend reading “What you can expect when reporting a sexual assault” on the Edmonton Police Service website.

How do I report to the RCMP?

You have one option that may lead to charges:

Phone or go into your local RCMP office.

To pursue potential charges with the RCMP, you will need to call or go to your nearest location.

A table with a white vase with "you got this" printed on it with flowers, two crystals, and a navy blue book with "read this till you believe it" printed on the cover.

Reporting Sexual Harassment

If you feel that your employment, working conditions, prospects for promotions or earnings, living accommodations, or access to public services are being affected by sexual harassment, you have options. You can speak with your employer, who has a responsibility to address the issue. And if your employer doesn’t address the issue, you can file a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights Commission.

Because sexual harassment falls under human rights law and not the Criminal Code of Canada, complaints regarding sexual harassment must be reported to the Human Rights Commission. Each province has its own Human Rights Commission, so Alberta residents will contact the Alberta Human Rights Commission by calling either the Northern or Southern Confidential Inquiry Lines.

To learn about the reporting process, visit the Alberta Human Rights Commission website

Northern Confidential Inquiry Line:

Alberta Human Rights Commission

Southern Confidential Inquiry Line

Alberta Human Rights Commission

Alberta-wide toll free TTY Line

For people who are Deaf or hard of hearing

What is Sexual Harassment?

To learn about the definition of sexual harassment, visit our Learn section.

In addition to the above services, the following resources may be helpful for people going to court:


How to Make a Complaint to the Department of Justice

if victim’s rights are infringed upon or denied


Statement of Basic Principles of Justice

A list of victim’s rights during court procedures


How to Apply for Victims of Crime Benefit Fund

Support is available if you have experienced physical or emotional harm as a result of a crime.


Victim Services

Help, financial assistance and restitution for victims of crime, and grants and training for victim services providers.

Back To Top