We’re hiring a child & adolescent counsellor to join our clinical team!
This is a full-time position under the direct supervision of the Director of Clinical Services and the Director of Client Care Services. The Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton (SACE) is a not-for-profit, charitable organization that supports children, youth, and adults who have experienced sexual abuse or assault, and educates the public about sexual violence. All work at SACE will reflect the Mission Statement and beliefs of the organization. We offer a friendly and warm work environment and are looking for someone in this position to work weekly Monday – Thursday. Flexibility to work weekday evenings and weekends is a requirement.
- Provision of crisis intervention, assessment and on-going therapy for survivors (3 – 17 years of age and of all genders) of intra- or extra-familial sexual abuse, and their non-offending family members;
- Provision of crisis intervention in the form of support and information calls, emergency appointments, and scheduled appointments, including back-up coverage for the SACE Support and Information Line as well as Alberta’s One-Line for Sexual Violence;
- A minimum of 5 individual counselling sessions booked per day (20 clients booked per week,) in a combination of in-person and/or telehealth appointments as necessary, with the exception of when meetings, trainings, group counselling sessions, and other scheduled commitments occur;
- Consult and collaborate with community professionals in matters relating to treatment and services for children (i.e. consultation and referrals);
- Provision of group counselling sessions as program requires;
- Maintain comprehensive records and files as outlined in the College of Alberta Psychologists Standards of Practice or other appropriate governing body per designation;
- Assist in the provision of training for volunteers, students, professional and lay persons in the area of child sexual assault as required;
- Maintain and submit program statistics monthly in consultation with the Director of Clinical Services and the Director of Client Care Services;
- Attend staff meetings, departmental group supervision, and staff in-services and remain ingrained on current literature and counselling methods, and where appropriate, adapt crisis intervention skills to reflect changes as determined by the Director of Clinical Services and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO);
- Other appropriate duties as assigned by the CEO, the Director of Clinical Services, or the Director of Client Care Services.
Minimum required qualifications:
- Masters level degree in counselling or social work with clinical focus (e.g. MC, MSc, MEd, MSW, etc.), and currently have, are pursuing, or are intending to pursue a professional designation such as CCC, Registered Psychologist, RSW;
- Experience in counselling children and adolescents (individual, family, group);
- Knowledge and understanding of the assessment and treatment issues surrounding the effects of sexual violence.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is familiar with the issue of sexual violence and with anti-oppressive approaches to violence prevention and client support;
- Understanding of, and commitment to, anti-oppression principles and practices;
- Experience in trauma-informed and client-centred counselling;
- Is adaptable, organized, and self-directed;
- Is able to work and develop relationships with a wide range of people, both within and outside of the organization;
- Is comfortable working collaboratively with other staff and organizations.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter outlining why you think you are the right candidate for this position, along with a resume and 3 professional references. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, Black, racialized or visible minority communities, Indigenous Peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2S+, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Closing date: June 24, 2021
Position start date: August 3, 2021
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Selection Committee – Child & Adolescent Counsellor.
We thank all who apply; only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.